St Mary's Primary School Crookwell NSW
Our School
Where are we?
History of St. Mary's School
History of St. Mary's Parish

Crookwell is a small rural town located in the Southern Tablelands of New South Wales.

The town is at a relatively high altitude, in Australian terms, at 980 metres, and there are occasional snowfalls during the winter months.

The nearest major centre is the city of Goulburn.

Catholic Education first began in Crookwell with lay teachers. In 1903 the Sisters of Mercy arrived and the first St. Mary’s School was established. The Catholic Convent, which adjoins the Church through the side Chapel, housed the first schoolroom. In 1912 the school moved into a new Parish hall on land across the road. Over the years the school continued to grow and by 1948 St. Mary’s Memorial School was opened. The school remained in the care of the Sisters of Mercy until 1993. Today St. Mary’s Primary School is a Systemic School governed by the Catholic Education Office of the Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn.
The ecclesiastical district of Crookwell was established in 1876 with a resident pastor, Rev. Michael Slattery, however baptism and marriage registers do not begin until 1882. The first public movement to build a Church was made on 23 September 1889 and it was in December that year that a foundation stone was laid. The blessing and opening of St. Mary’s Catholic Church occurred on Sunday 19 April 1891 with over 600 people in attendance. The Church is built out of local bluestone and features a bell weighing over twelve hundred pounds and is a mixture of Gothic and Norman styles. The Church was reconstructed in 1958 and reopened in 1959 due to a fire.

Wade Street Crookwell NSW 2583

PO Box 189

(02) 48321 592